Sunday 10 March 2013

Mother's Day and the garden

More daffodils are out this week even if it is cold!

It has been snowing again today and after a taste of Spring, the cold is back. The forecast for the rest of March is colder and drier weather than normal which is similar to the last two years. Perhaps the weather isn't helping but I've been feeling pretty down this weekend. I made myself go out in the cold just to do some repotting. Felt a bit better after my fingers had made contact with soil and my daughter Holly always cheers me up. Today I read a chapter of 'The Power' by Rhonda Byrne, that always really helps me to 'police' my thoughts more, and to put some effort into creating positive thoughts, because thoughts turn into feelings without us even noticing. Hopefully the sun will come out for us all soon.

'Every single second is an opportunity to change your life, because in any moment you can change the way you feel. It doesn't matter what you have felt before. It doesn't matter what mistakes you think you may have made. When you change the way you feel you are on a different frequency....When you change the way you feel, your life changes.'
(Rhonda Byrne 'The Power').

Thinking ahead, I've plans for removing more of the front lawn especially since I've ordered some adventurous (but easy to grow) seeds recommended in 'Homegrown Revolution,' by James Wong. I'm going to be growing Dahlias both for flowers and edible tubers, Cucamelons: a small fruit that tastes of both cucumber and melon, mouth numbing Electric Daisies, Quinoa, (prized superfood which grows easily here), Callaloo: colourful spinach like plant and quite a few more. I have a mixture of fruits, root vegetables, edible flowers and greens to try and am going to have to make some more space. So it's goodbye to the mossy old lawn, except perhaps for some mossy lawn pathways. I wonder if the popularity of this book will really revolutionise what we grow on our windy island? It makes sense really, as we eat things like quinoa here, why not grow them?
It's Mother's Day today, so after being served jam crumpets in bed by my daughter, Holly, I've indulged myself in a bit of creative writing. I'm trying to get my second novel into shape and with about 25,000 words written it's on its way. I've changed my mind a few times, but think this one is working. I've just had a lovely lunch of sweet potato and chilli soup from a recipe I found on the internet, it's a delicious combination of sweet and spicy. I'd rather like to try growing sweet potatoes too, there are now varieties that can be grown here in the UK.

Next up is a visit to my Dad who is recovering from a major heart operation and my mother who had a heart surgery 4 years ago. With those odds, I really do need to grow my own food and eat as healthily as possible (sorry Mum and Dad!)

Yesterday, I did make some progress with the garden project. Braved the cold and potted up the beans, peas and some of the tomatoes as they were outgrowing the propagator. They are making excellent progress and there is not much window sill space left. Hopefully these should be planted out in the Easter holidays when I'll have two weeks off work and will be hoping for good weather to hang out in the garden!


Now it's time to play the All American Rejects really loud while I get up and get dressed, it's 2.30pm after all! ;0)



2 comments:

  1. Goodness Rachel this really makes me excited for spring and make me want to plant a garden!!

    ReplyDelete